Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default Whale strikes

On Sat, 15 May 2010 17:54:53 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 15 May 2010 17:03:27 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 15 May 2010 10:22:44 -0800, You wrote:

Most Commercial Shipping Vessels do [not] carry any type of electronic
equipment that could, or would, show a whale in near vicinity of a ship.

I agree assuming that you meant "do not carry". Military vessels are
more likely to carry high tech gear like that in my somewhat informed
opinion, side scan SONAR and the like.

Ships hitting whales has nothing to do with whales being stupid.

In some areas of a lot of whale activity, they mandate that large
ships travel slower so the whales can get out of the way.

I wonder whether whales feel any incentive to "get out of the way"?
After all, porpoise seem to be attracted to small boats and frequently
seem to play in he wake or dive under the boat.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)