Cindy Ballreich

Default Looked today ( Boat Choices)

Wendy wrote:

Ok, I got intrigued and ran some numbers applying your above methodology to
three other boats (I'm in accounting, numbers interest me):

Pacific Seacraft 37 .38
Tayana 37 .30 (!!)
Cabo Rico 37 .37

Now, I am not a naval architect, but the people who designed the above
(well-respected) sea-going yachts are, and their numbers prompt me to ask
what you base your 40% number on. I'm not calling your assertion
questionable, I just want to know what I am missing here- help me out.

There are a lot of numbers and B/D is probably going to be lower
on heavy displacement boats - like the ones you are looking at.
More useful will probably be Displacment to Waterline Length,
Motion Comfort Ratio, and Capsize Ratio.

Looking at my notes, a Catalina 30 we looked at had a B/D of .41,
a D/Wl of 291.4, a Comfort ratio of 24.8, and a Capsize ratio of
1.99. The Crealock 37 we looked at was .383, 344, 34.3, and 1.7
respectivly.

It's important to remember that these numbers will only give you
a suggestion of how a boat will perform. In reality there are a
lot of factors that go into performance that these numbers can't
account for.

Cindy

--
the return email is a spam trap
send legit emails to cindy_at_ballreich_dot_net