Wendy

Default Looked today ( Boat Choices)

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
One point I don't know if anybody else has mentioned-
ballast/displacement ratio. If this boat's *sailing* displacement (which
is a different figure from it's weight as it left the factory, a figure
often quoted as 'displacement') is really 16K# then it's b/d ratio is a
tad under 40%... close to the minimum for a seagoing boat IMHO. And if
the displacement figure is fudged, as they often are, then it is in a
grey area. Furthermore the stability will be degraded as you load stores
(true of almost any boat, but much less important as the B/D ratio gets
up towards 50%). Rather a nit-picky technical issue, but one that is
important.

Ok, I got intrigued and ran some numbers applying your above methodology to
three other boats (I'm in accounting, numbers interest me):

Pacific Seacraft 37 .38
Tayana 37 .30 (!!)
Cabo Rico 37 .37

Now, I am not a naval architect, but the people who designed the above
(well-respected) sea-going yachts are, and their numbers prompt me to ask
what you base your 40% number on. I'm not calling your assertion
questionable, I just want to know what I am missing here- help me out.

Wendy