Dave Skolnick

Default Looked today ( Boat Choices)

engsol wrote:
The other suggestion I offer is to make a list of "needs" and "wants". (Works well when buying
a house too!)

My example:
1. Fin keel (coastal cruising in sometimes tight waters)
2. Good engine access
3. 30 - 32 feet (I'll be single-handing most of the time)
4. Sloop or cutter rigged (no experience with ketch)
5. Don't care about the electronics...I'll retrofit w/ new
6. Tiny galley OK.

You get the idea.

Keep us posted with your progress...good luck.
Norm

Norm makes good sense. Just for comparison, my list includes:

1. Draft amenable to ICW and Bahamas -- 5ish feet is fine, although I
could live with 6 with some additional stress.
2. Rigged for single-handing (although I'm thinking 35-42 feet)
3. Cutter or ketch
4. Galley you can really cook in
5. Island berth in owner's cabin, preferably aft
6. Ability to shower without soaking the head, particularly the toilet
7. Accessibility to machinery
8. Storage
9. Nav station or other accommodation that can be a real desk for
working, including seating (that is likely to be customized) that
provides decent back support

I'm looking at the IP 370 and HR 40, probably new. If this all works
out, I'll sell my house and roll the bulk of the proceeds into the boat.

dv

--
-----
news_bucket e-mail address goes to a blackhole. Sorry. Send e-mail to