engsol

Default Looked today ( Boat Choices)

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 03:48:05 GMT, "Wendy" wrote:

I had a close look at four boats today, all offered through brokers. The
experience was a pleasurable one; the brokers were pleasant enough and quite
helpful. The weather was a bit cool for my taste, though. Anyway, here's
what I looked over in the order in which I saw them, along with my thoughts:

snip
Cheoy Lee Pedrick 36, 1985 Model:
Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, 1990 Model:
Cabo Rico 38, 1981 Model:
Tayana 37, 1982 Model:

snip

Wendy

Oddly enough Wendy, we're in the same boat, as it were. The way I approached it was to first buy
the two-volume Practical Sailor "Practical Boat Buying". It was/is a quick way to make a list of
boats that might fit your needs. In my case, engine access is a biggie. I also read all the boat
reviews I come across.

The other suggestion I offer is to make a list of "needs" and "wants". (Works well when buying
a house too!)

My example:
1. Fin keel (coastal cruising in sometimes tight waters)
2. Good engine access
3. 30 - 32 feet (I'll be single-handing most of the time)
4. Sloop or cutter rigged (no experience with ketch)
5. Don't care about the electronics...I'll retrofit w/ new
6. Tiny galley OK.

You get the idea.

Keep us posted with your progress...good luck.
Norm