Default Long Island to George Town, Exumas, Bahamas 4-21-10 and Regatta Week

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Hi, Boob,

Nice to hear from you in your usual fashion :{))

... when, before our wreck, in the storm that put us on the rock, the KISS
took off, and landed on the center .....

*****
SKIP'S HISTORY REVISION ! !

Dear skip. you say a storm put you on the rocks.......
If I remember right by Lydias on words (post).... she was on watch
layed down and some how the boat ran onto the beach.

No storm put you on the rocks.
There was no lookout.
Your vessel was Not Under Command.....literly!
You were unable to stand a watch. Your beloved Lydia ****ed up, wimped
out and abandoned her post leaving everyone in peril of loosing their
life. You got lucky that time and simply rested on a beach/reef/rocks
or what ever ya wanna call it.

She should have been put in jail for attempted manslaughter

Bob
*******

Heh. With our boat, attempted manslaughter would have been laughed out of
court. The only reason we were plucked from Flying Pig is that the TBUS
guy told the CG, when asked, that they should deploy an asset. Flying Pig
is literally bulletproof (well, any normal caliber; an RPG, tank round, or
16" gun would make a mess and an elephant gun round might possibly
penetrate).

So, you're correct, we rested there on the rocks (if you can call being
picked up, thrown another few inches inland, and crashed again, every 10
seconds or so "resting").

And, the storm was what caused the KISS to fly away; we were happily under
triple-reefed main, making 5.5 knots, not even very uncomfortable in the
large seas; its departure was about 8 hours before our encounter with the
flats of Content Key.

And, yes, as seen in the "I learned about sailing from that" thread of the
time, we had a cascading set of decisions, any of which done in the
reverse, could have caused that experience never to happen.

That I was asleep, comfortably, in the aft cabin, agreed, made me unable
to stand a watch :{))

For all that, as seen in other threads on that adventure, it was the best
thing which could have happened to us, in many ways that I'll not bother
to recount here. That we got back in the saddle and are out here doing it
(what are YOU doing which bears any resemblance to cruising - this being
rec.boats.CRUISING, not dot
OilRig/DeckHand/OreShip/GettingMultitonQualified or others?), managing not
to kill anyone including ourselves, not bending or scratching the boat or
others', suggests that our learning curve has flattened somewhat :{)) Not
that we aren't continually learning - we like to think that we'll never
stop learning, but hope that our learning experiences aren't quite so
exciting!

The only trouble I see with your story, Skippy, is there are NO ROCKs at
Sprigger Bank and that's where you were aground, wasn't it?

Wilbur Hubbard