Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Offshore cruiser questions

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:37:20 GMT, "Wendy"
wrote:

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message
.. .

You will learn to sail fastest in a boat barely big enough to hold
you. That is because you will feel the effect of everything you do
very soon.

Yah, I've got a 17' Hobie Cat now- very fast, very twitchy. It's the sport
model, with no jib, but it's loads of fun. I've learned a lot on it ("how
to upright your catmaran" was the first lesson I'd just like to step up
to something a bit more serious.

OK, but don't assume that 'more serious'='bigger.' You couldn't get
much more serious than a 49er, for example (not a singlehander--I am
not suggesting it for you). It is only 15 feet long.

For honing sailing skills, and especially seat-of-pants instincts, a
serious one-design fleet is more important than what the boat is. If
there were a fleet of Europe dinghies that you could join (womens'
Olympic singlehander) you could learn really fast. Everyone would help
you, and you would see your progress objectively.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the
simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.
- Richard Dawkins, "Viruses of the Mind"