Larry W4CSC

Default Bought cool new digital charger....$89? WalMart?!!

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:34:52 +0100, "Meindert Sprang"
wrote:

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message

Fiber sounds great until you have to install it. Fiber requires
amazingly expensive equipment to splice and connector to it and
specialized training to do it right, things pleasure boaters will
simply not pay for. It's not an option when a large corporation or
the government bureaucrats aren't paying the bills.

There is also plastic fibre, the stuff that is also used for optical audio
links on high class CD players. This stuff needs no special tools. Just cut
it with a stanley knife, stuff it into the hole and tighten the plastic nut.
Ready.
Installed this way, it is good for 1Mbit/s over several 10's of meters. When
you polish the end with 8000 grit, you can go up to 15MHz over 50 meters or
so. Ideal stuff for some sort of NMEA-183Optical :-)

Meindert

Again, we are talking about ONE talker connected to ONE listener, the
same old NMEA crap problem that's making Meindert rich, now. Will we
make each unit an optical repeater to daisy-chain them together,
replacing the cabling monsters with fiber monsters?

Larry W4CSC

No, no, Scotty! I said, "Beam me a wrench.", not a WENCH!
Kirk Out.....