Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default Haul, Scrape, Anti-Foul at Corpus. $$

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"brian whatcott" wrote in message
Haul, Scrape, Clean, Paint with anti-foul (the best at $150+/gal)

Bottom line: $900 for a 25 ft Hunter.

Ouch!
The folks there said that in the hyper-saline water
at Corpus Christi, the very best stuff they applied might last two
years - even three - but likely not!

:-)

Brian W

150 bucks a gallon is hardly the best. Try $250 a gallon for Petit Trinidad
SR which is the best you can get for tropical waters.

Wilbur Hubbard

I guess I should give Wilbur's view some consideration, since he is
given some weight by an active current off shore cruiser (Skip).

Don't know what goes into this Petit Trinidad - supposing it is one that
is prohibited in the US, it might be a tributyl tin type, or if its just
toxic but not prohibited, perhaps a high copper ablative?

People are trying to get past the copper toxicity found in popular
sailing waters - San Diego Bay for instance - so there's effort to
promote the non-metal coatings. Hard epoxy can last longer than the
metal ablatives, I suppose. I notice a UCalDavis survey comments that
some silicone self-polishing coatings are promising.
A marine coating conference last year had an encouraging comparison
between copper loaded, and biocide loaded proprietary types in favor of
the non metal.

It's paradoxical I know: the idea of anti fouling is to deter marine
organisms - and that's almost a definition of toxicity.
Oh well....

Brian W