Ancona21 Ancona21 is offline

Default Cherubini Raider 33 - Need Shore Power Advice

On Apr 27, 9:40*am, Ancona21 wrote:
On Apr 27, 8:40*am, wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 04:06:27 -0700 (PDT), Ancona21

wrote:
I have recently acquired a 1985 Cherubini Raider 33 which is not
fitted for shore power. I need guidance on the best choice of shore
power inlet types to install.

I would also appreciate any information about the boat itself. It was
built in Florida in 1985 - original name was MUSIC which was later
changed to KOKOMO. It appears to be a tall rig model, but I have no
specs. Nor do I know the draft. Any info or referrals would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks,
Ancona

How did you end up with a 33 foot sailboat and not even know the
draft? Did you even have a survey done?

Silly me. The Coast Guard documentation indicates a draft of 5'7" but
the previous owner (who sold the boat to me for $1.00) said he thought
it might be a bit deeper. Moreover, one of John Cherubini's younger
family members wrote in another discussion group that he had owned a
tall-rigged Raider 33 whose draft was 6 feet. Thus my uncertainty
about the boat's draft. Given the attractive price and the owner's
eagerness to clear his dock for a new boat due to be delivered soon I
decided to roll the dice and have it towed to my own dock in a canal
off the New River in Ft Lauderdale. As a retired insurance broker with
numerous contacts in the industry I was able to obtain liability
insurance without breaking a sweat.

I'd say adding shore power is the very least of your "issues".

I am well aware of my issues, thank you very much.

Many marinas won't rent to you without insurance, and I doubt you will
get insurance without a proper survey, and repair of problems the
survey uncovers. Even if you have the boat at your own private dock in
front of your house, you would be foolish not to have substantial
liability insurance.

If I ever need help on that I'll give you a shout.

When you do add shore power, make sure it doesn't create an issue with
your insurance covereage. If not done to the insurer's standards, it
might mean you aren't covered, even though you have a policy in your
hand.

See previous comments.

Ancona- Hide quoted text -

PS: See pictures he