cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Cherubini Raider 33 - Need Shore Power Advice

Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 20:53:22 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Wayne's advice is well meant, but from what I've seen so far of marine
services, I'd do it myself.

Wiring and pin named for various connections
http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardwar...nfiguratio.htm

I'd be the first to agree that it can be done as a DIY project but
there are a couple of caveats. First, this is more involved than just
installing a shore power inlet. There will also need to be a panel,
hopefully with reverse polarity detection/prevention; circuit
breakers; and branch circuits, all installed in accordance with NMEA
standards. If not your insurance policy is not worth the paper it is
written on, and you could face major liabilities if your boat causes a
dock fire or electrocutes someone. Another issue is that most
amateur electrical work stands out like a sore thumb when a boat is
surveyed or resold.

Having just been through the ENTIRE electrical suystem of my boat,
I'd argue loudly that last sentence. (and you left of Ground fault).

The work done by - professionals - just plain sucked.

Bad crimps (by automotive type tools if I'm not mistaken),
no strain relief, no drip loops, no labels, no idea of what wire does what,
etc.

This was not the factory wiring (perfectly adequate), but work done
by a boat yard - after the fact.

It's my boat, and I want it done right. Damit!

Badly enough to research the standards,
buy the proper tools and parts (and wire!),
and do it - right.

I don't have a lot of detail on the web site yet - but -
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri...ds.htm#electro
and scroll down ways to "My New arrangement"...

I figer if I didn't do it right, Willie would (for sure) let me know!
And he would probably be right on this one...

Willie? What do I need to fix?

--

Richard Lamb