posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] Phantman00@nospam.invalid is offline

Default Strength of a steel 55 Gal drum

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 12:48:06 -0500, Phantman00 wrote:
Good info to know. Thanks.
Normally, I would rest the boat's weight on the keel so the stands (or
drums) would be there more for balance than support. But my boat has
a stub keel that houses a centerboard and I'll need working room
underneath it to lower the centerboard at least partially. So that's
why the weight will all be on the stands/drums.
And thanks.....

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 20:15:17 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:
On a humorous note, quick calculations reveal that if you fill each
drum with concrete and rebar, they should support in excess of
2,000,000 lbs each. :-)

I'll make note of that. It'll be useful for when I began work on my
houseboat conversion plan from a decommissioned aircraft carrier. :-)