Ed Price

Default Bought cool new digital charger....$89? WalMart?!!

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:30:30 +0100, "Meindert Sprang"
wrote:

Thanks, but the keywords I see are RESIDENTIAL. They are
"encouraged", but not "required" to do so in an industrial
environment, same as computers.

In section 15.103 sub (a) it says that devices operating exclusively in

any
transportation vehicle (including motor vehicles and aircraft) are

exempted.
Now according to my dictionary, a vehicle usually has wheel and mover over
land. What about boats?

Meindert

Meindert has beaten me to the quote, citing the correct subsection which
exempts electronics used in ANY US vehicle. This is simply an exclusion
granted by the FCC, other groups and agencies may have regulatory compliance
requirements for vehicles under their control or authority. For instance,
the FAA will not allow any random electronics installation in an aircraft.
Auto manufacturers place stringent compliance requirements on their vendors,
but after the sale, the manufacturer has no control over the vehicle
(although theoretically, some electronic aftermarket additions might void
the manufacturer's warranty).

In Europe, the automakers have pulled a sneaky exclusion, for automotive
products from the EMC Directive, that will last about 10 more years. They
have a parallel, but not harmonized compliance structure, and thus an EN
marking and a Declaration of Conformity for goods going into European autos
is not required. (No Directive, so nothing to conform to, so no way to
declare conformity!)

I can't recall what they formally call the automotive system; maybe it is
the Automotive Directive. Naah, too simple!

Ed