posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default Strength of a steel 55 Gal drum

lid wrote:
Does anyone here know off hand how much a steel 55 gal drum can
support? I'm going to take my boat (approx 4,000 lbs) off the trailer
and I'm looking at options. I have two drums in reasonably good
condition that I can use in the rear and I'll use concrete blocks
forward.
I've never used drums before and I keep getting a mental image of what
happens to a beer can when I stomp on the top of it. I've seen other
people use drums though. But I never really thought much of the idea
before now. Are two of them strong enough to support half the weight
of a 4,000 lb boat for a week or two?
TIA,
Rick

I did a quick scan for strength properties of 55 gal steel cans.
55 gal can crushers feature forces from 3.8 tons to 20 tons (but they
need to compress to around 6 inches, which increases the force required.)
On the other hand, compressive force allowables are harder to find. I
saw one figure of 1800 lb mentioned which probably carries a safety
factor...

Your estimated load of 1000 lb per can, particularly if you can put some
load spreader on top - a plank or small ply sheet - should give no
problems.

I notice my kid's Hunter 25 ft up for scrape and paint this week, was
supported on a few spindly 1.5 inch diameter jack stands at the pro yard.

Brian W