posted to rec.boats.building
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Strength of a steel 55 Gal drum

Assuming the load is in column and applied across the entire barrel top, there is absolutely no problem and water is not
necessary.
Steve

wrote in message ...
Does anyone here know off hand how much a steel 55 gal drum can
support? I'm going to take my boat (approx 4,000 lbs) off the trailer
and I'm looking at options. I have two drums in reasonably good
condition that I can use in the rear and I'll use concrete blocks
forward.
I've never used drums before and I keep getting a mental image of what
happens to a beer can when I stomp on the top of it. I've seen other
people use drums though. But I never really thought much of the idea
before now. Are two of them strong enough to support half the weight
of a 4,000 lb boat for a week or two?
TIA,
Rick