posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] Phantman00@nospam.invalid is offline

Default Strength of a steel 55 Gal drum

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:28:37 -0500, Phantman00 wrote:
Does anyone here know off hand how much a steel 55 gal drum can
support? I'm going to take my boat (approx 4,000 lbs) off the trailer
and I'm looking at options. I have two drums in reasonably good
condition that I can use in the rear and I'll use concrete blocks
forward.
I've never used drums before and I keep getting a mental image of what
happens to a beer can when I stomp on the top of it. I've seen other
people use drums though. But I never really thought much of the idea
before now. Are two of them strong enough to support half the weight
of a 4,000 lb boat for a week or two?
TIA,
Rick

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 21:07:06 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:
I suspect that the answer may depend on whether or not the drums are
full or empty. Just a guess on my part.

Why not rent or borrow some Brownell boat stands? I know from past
experience jacking up my old Cal-34 that each stand is good for at
least 2,500 lbs.

They're empty at the moment. But I can spare 110 gallons of water if
need be. I hadn't thought of that.

I'd rather use boat stands for sure. But the two boat yards I've
always depended on here were swept clean in Katrina and didn't come
back. Not sure where I could find stands here locally. I can check
around on Monday though. Just occured to me that the owner of one of
the rental centers here is a boat guy. Maybe he 'em. Or maybe I can
convince him to buy some. I'm not the only one here with this problem
and he'd have the market cornered. lol!