Eric

Default Radar on a cell phone

Ever been to Lake Norman? I have, I used to work a few miles from
there. Do you know anything about the terrain?

Eric

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
eric, that is a newspaper story, and has much to do with what actually happened
as any other news story. Weather just does not and can not develop that
quickly. Besides you can tell the reporter was fictionalizing when s/he
slipped in that part about

Few of the participants
noticed an area of dark sky emerging behind them

you also can tell that by

blasted by a wall of water

huh? what "wall of water" is that?

most of the rest of the rhetoric in the story is the reporter "adding drama",
as the phrase goes in journalism school.

as far as the rest of that goes, one day a few years ago four people died in a
thunderstorm in the waters I normally sail when a thunderstorm came through
packing 90+ knots of wind. Many boats on the water damaged.

My boat was not. Why? because I didnt go out that day knowing full well the
chances of very high winds. I expected the high winds about 2:00, and they hit
about 4:00.

This ain't rocket science. Those dark clouds mean *something* and if they are
traveling to the north of you you might be in for a bit of trouble. Plan for
it.

And being out in potential storm conditions in a lightweight racing boat means
you have to keep your eyes open.

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, if it makes you feel better carry a baby blanket
and a binky.

The storm
On May 6, 1989 around 1:00 p.m., 93 sailboats were underway in a large
regatta on Lake Norman. By all accounts it was a "bluebird day" -- no
clouds, medium-heavy breeze (12-18 knots). A perfect day for a
sailboat race.

While the NOAA forecast had called for possible thunderstorms late
that afternoon, no one expected severe weather.

At about 12:30, NOAA issued a "microburst warning" for the area. By
then, the regatta was well underway. Everyone was watching their sail
trim and their competitors.

Most of the fleet was on a long down-wind leg. Few of the participants
noticed an area of dark sky emerging behind them. Ten minutes later,
the fleet was blasted by a wall of water and winds officially clocked
at 64 – 78 knots.

* Two sailors drowned.
* Nineteen sailors were swept overboard and had to be rescued.
* Four boats sank.
* Sixty-two boats were substantially damaged.

On Lake Norman -- a nice scenic inland lake (sound familiar??), two
and one-half hours from SML.

Survivors described the conditions thusly:

* "A wall of gray—30 feet above the water, roaring towards us."
* "The lake itself seemed to be lifted from its bed."
* "A mixture of lake water, rain, and hail blew like a firehose."
* "Seven foot waves broke over the banks."

One sailor, suddenly aware of the storm, tried to drop his sails, but
the sudden heavy pressure locked the halyards. He was knocked down
with shredded sails. Another sailor tried to secure his companionway
during a knockdown, but water was already pouring in the cabin. His
boat sank.

Many boats were either demasted or lost sails.