Wendy

Default Offshore cruiser questions

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
I understand the US Navy spent some time and effort to see why sailors get
seasick, and how to stop or reduce it. I understand about 1/3 get sick

from a
quick motion, 1/3 from a long motion, and the rest from a combination of

the
two.

I've seen people get sick going from a dock to a tied-up boat- that's the
extreme. I don't get sick, and I know I am fortunate. Seasickness is
misery for those who get it. Dunno why people do, but I am convinced (with
no factual evidence to back up my convictions) that a lot of the cause is in
the afflicted's mind. When I was five or so my family returned from Europe
on the SS United States (I just dated myself . I remember throwing up all
the way across. First time I went out on a military ship I threw up once;
I'm convinced it was the fruit juice sloshing around in my stomach. Since
then it's never happened- 30+ foot seas on ships, and 15 foot seas on large
boats; have had 42 foot power boats coming off the tops of waves and
smashing into the troughs with nary a quease at all. I'm lucky, I know. I
always felt bad for people who get sick; it is the ultimate misery.

Wendy