Meindert Sprang

Default Bought cool new digital charger....$89? WalMart?!!

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
There's a source of information, guys. Meindert, what are the FCC
radiation requirements for this boat electronics? Are these items
required to pass FCC's consumer radiation requirements? Is Norland
violating the law?

My contention is marine electronics isn't covered, otherwise we'd have
a data system that's shielded, not the stupid NMEA-0183 with
unshielded connections screwed down helter-skelter balanced and
unbalanced any old way you builders want to do it with wires hanging
out, radiating like hell. Is this the TRUTH?

According to FCC Part 15, a class B digital device is:
---QQQ---
A digital device that is marketed for use in a residential environment
notwithstanding use in commercial, business and industrial environments.
Examples of such devices include, but are not limited to, personal
computers, calculators, and similar electronic devices that are marketed for
use by the general public. Note: The responsible party may also qualify a
device intended to be marketed in a commercial, business or industrial
environment as a Class B device, and in fact is encouraged to do so,
provided the device complies with the technical specifications for a Class B
digital device. In the event that a particular type of device has been found
to repeatedly cause harmful
interference to radio communications, the Commission may classify such a
digital device as a Class B
digital device, regardless of its intended use.
---UQUQ---

Navigation electronics fall in the category of "digital devices marketed for
use by the general public". For professional use, there are even more
stringent standards (IEC945).

And it is my understanding that FCC approval or compliance is mandatory.
When I export to the US and ship with Fedex, they ant me to fill out a form,
stating that the my multiplexers comply with FCC Part 15 class B. Otherwise
they (Fedex, being the importer) can be held liable.
So you might think Noland is violating the law here. They are for sure with
the units they export to Europe, because they have no CE marking.

The limits for radiated emmission for class B devices a
30 - 88MHz: 100uV/m
88 - 216MHz: 150uV/m
216 - 960MHz: 200uV/m
Above 960MHz: 500uV/m