Larry[_14_] Larry[_14_] is offline

Default Build bigger or not?

Frogwatch wrote:
OK, sometimes I am a slow learner or maybe just too stubborn but after
many years of sailing, I realized a sailboat just was not going to get
me to many interesting places in a timely fashion. Then I read about
the Tolman Skiffs and the amazing voyages some have taken in them and
how seaworthy they are and how fuel efficient they are and thought
"That's the boat I need". Although I had never even been at the helm
of a power boat, I figgered I'd learn. Not knowing anything about
characteristics of powerboats did not stop me and neither did the fact
that the motor I bought on e-bay came without any wiring instructions
or controls didn't either.
All in all, the 20' Tolman is a good boat being rugged, seaworthy,
very fuel efficient (5 mpg at 20 kts with 2 cycle 90 hp, top speed of
30 kts with 6 people aboard) and I am proud of her. However, her fuel
efficiency and planing at 9 kts means she has small deadrise at the
transom, 9 degrees which radically increases toward the bow. In 2'
chop, at anything over 12 kts, she pounds enough to be uncomfy after
about a half hour.
Also being so lightweight, about half the weight of the same size
fiberglass boat, she can get pushed around by seas easily. This means
I am hesitant to take her across the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas or to
Dry Tortugas and other things I'd like to do.
However, the family likes her because we can use her for pulling the
tube behind and scalloping in shallow water etc.
There is a 23' Tolman design with a full cabin and much greater
deadrise that is still fuel efficient. It would use a 125 hp 4 stroke
and get similar MPG. Would a boat this much bigger be as much "fun"?

Does anyone make a 125 four stroke? You might have to look at a 115 or 150.