Default Watertank Slime

"silverdragon" wrote in message
Hey my wife and I purchased a Columbia 29 Mk II and there is some
green slime on the walls of the aluminum water tank under the V-Berth
I was wondering what the best way to disinfect and clean it out.

Is there some sort of cleaner or bleach water mixture that we can put
in the tank to kill what ever is growing down there?

Yes there is. Put a cup of household bleach (non-scented) into it, fill it
to the top and let it sit a day or two. Then pump or drain it all out.
Refill with fresh water.

On the other hand, you might consider just leaving it be.

I drink water out of my bicycle water bottle daily, the insides of which are
green with algae. I never bleach it out. I figure the algae puts extra
oxygen in the water and I like the taste of algae water better than plastic
water. The algae seems to coat the plastic and the water tastes great. It
goes down smooth. But, I was raised on a farm in the Midwest with cisterns
for drinking water filled by galvanized steel barn roofs. Dug deep into the
red clay and lined with stacked white stones - no concrete. We had algae,
frogs and fish in our cisterns but never have I had better tasting water
than rain water-filled, bio-diverse cistern water.

People these days have a fetish about their water. They need to get over it.

Wilbur Hubbard