posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default Paint

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:32:34 -0400, I am Tosk
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Thanks for the Tips guys. The boat has normal household plywood and 2x2 for
frame.
It'll be for occaisional use. non-marine or non-treated.

Actually the wife has never been on a boat and has a fear of something, this
is a good way to educate her or face her fears. She's watching it get built.
IF she likes this one and overcomes her fears, then we'll get a "real" boat
next year.

All the more reason to use paint and primer as opposed to expensive
resin. Some here will howl but I never spend more than 20 bucks to paint
a plywood skiff. I go to Home Depot and look for some nice beige or tan
for the inside, something flat that won't reflect or collect heat, and
something nice and shiny green or similar for the outside. I start at
the "goof" table where there is usually a nice selection of colors for
practically no $$. I am not going to spend a hundred bucks a year to
paint a boat that cost me 100 to build. I painted my house green on
green several years back, guess what color my next skiff was?

If the boat is made of better wood I will use better stuff, I have
probably used more Petit than any other for higher end stuff.

"Marine" paints are easier to use, look nicer when cured, etc, but just
not for a boat made of exterior ply. Again, just my opinion.

Scotty

Different strokes for different folks :-)

I use two part polyurethane paint because the paint will last the life
of the dinghy. Barn paint gets sort of scruffy after a year or so.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)