posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default Paint

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:20:14 -0400, I am Tosk
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Dave wrote:
I'm building a 9 foot wooden flat bottom boat for myself and the kids.
It'
made out of 3/8" plywood from Home Depot and we're probably going to
use it
about every other weekend in the water. Where I'm at it's mostly salt
water
area (Gulf).

My question is:

Will normal Latex Exterior house paint will work?

best to seal with 2 coats of solvent thinned epoxy or moisture cured
urethane primer, then ext. latex....

paul - progressive epoxy polymers inc

With all due respect, that is not the way to go. I am going to assume he
used regular exterior ply and it is more vulnerable to moisture damage
than BS1088 or similar. If he coats it with two coats of thinned epoxy,
moisture that gets in (and it will) can not get out. Wooden boats are
best done old school with paint and sealer. A good wood primer, some
sandpaper, and a couple coats of acrylic based paint, he doesn't want to
use latex, at least on the outside, inside is ok...

Let the wood breathe and the boat will last a lot longer...

Scotty, just my opinion.

I think it depends on many things. did any scrapes or dings damage the
boat? Dragged it up on the beach and wore all the coating off the
bottom?

But your assertion that somehow moisture penetrates in through the
epoxy and can't get out just isn't logical - there is no one way
valves in the epoxy :-)

My own experience seems quite different from yours. For example, I
built an 8 ft. dinghy using exterior grade plywood some ten years
ago.. Tapped the joints and covered the outside of the bottom with
IIRC 400 gm cloth. The rest of the boat was painted with epoxy, epoxy
primer, two part polyurethane. Some eight years after I built it a
bloke walked by the dinghy, bottom side up in the dock in front of my
sailboat, and started to admire it. finally said, "would I sell it?".
I did immediately, and I saw the boat, now 10 years + old, still being
used just the other day.

Of course, my boat is/was used in salt water which is somewhat of a
preservative, or perhaps preventative, as far as dry rot goes, but
still, a ten year + life for a 8 ft. two sheet of plywood, dinghy does
seem satisfactory, or at least value for money.

Of course, just painting works also. I believe I have mentioned a
fishing boat they two Uncles built from exterior grade fir plywood.
Kept in the garage and used a day or two every week during fishing
season that was still usable after 15 years.

..
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)