Jeff Morris

Default Radar for weather at NIGHT Was Radar on a cell phone

They are common on the coast. They use the heating of the land to provide the
instability and updrafts. Its certainly very common in New England for line
squalls to go through at night - it only take a cold front traveling over heated
up land. They would lose some of their punch over cold water.

Jax is just trying to claim that a few offshore rides makes him a weather
expert.

"Ken Heaton" wrote in message
I live in small coastal city, and for 15 years I had an apartment 2 blocks
from the waterfront of the harbour. This would be about 3 miles up the
harbour from the Atlantic coast itself. I remember a night a thunderstorm
woke me up as it put on its light show overhead. Then it hit the radio
station across the street. That was spectacular. And deafening. It was a
couple of days before they were back on the air.
Are thunderstorms uncommon at night? Seems around here they are as common
during the night as during the day.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
I have never seen a thunderstorm offshore at night, either, but have seen

them
on land (way inland) on more than a couple occassions.

Hmm.. I have rarely seen T-storms at night, course my eyes are not that

good
as some.

Foregoing Vitriol, raving and puffery deleted..

As part of keeping your log with regular observations at say even bells.
SOP in Lioness is to plot position and sweep the radar to look for

vessels
and thunderclouds.

With 48 mile range you do get a good warning. A cell phone that gave you

message on weather would be nice, yet does not work offshore.

Course if all you do is sail in category 4 water it is no biggie.

Sheldon