posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default Paint

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:59:11 -0500, "Dave"
wrote:

Sure. In fact many people that build stitch and glue do exactly that.
Tape the seams and use the rest of the pot to paint the plywood.
However... epoxy has very little UV resistance so cover it with
something else.

Cheers,

Bruce

Thanks,

Next question:

Using Exterior Latex, what would be a good bonding agent for the Resin?
Latex Primer?

For a stitch and glue boat you should be using epoxy as for sticking
things together it is so much stronger. Most of the epoxy sold for
boat building develop a surface coating of a somewhat oily substance
refereed to as "blush" which has to be removed before additional coats
of anything are applied. This can be done by sanding it by washing, if
washing you can use soap and water or my fiberglass mate's recipe of
vinegar and water.

Now we have eliminated the blush we have to deal with the slick, shiny
surface that epoxy hardens to. Usually by sanding with about 220 grit
paper.

So... what you have ended up with is a 220 grit finish on a material
that is pretty much impervious to your paint, i.e., the paint can't
soak in. Probably much like painting that hard cement board (I believe
it is refereed to as "dry wall") used to finish off the inside of
houses.

Frankly, I don't know a thing about house paint but I suspect that any
primer that you can use over "cement board" and a paint that doesn't
wash off will work.

If the paint does fall off it just paint it with something else :-)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)