Stephen Trapani Stephen Trapani is offline

Default South Maycock, Margaret and Hog Cays Southern Jumentos, 4-9&10-10

Skip Gundlach wrote:
We left you, totally stuffed from a dinner of 3 conch tossed in some
penne,
with the winds and surge subsiding.

Friday started with our usual conference with Chris Parker. Forecasts
indicated that we're in for blowy weather for the next week or so.
With
that in mind, we reviewed our options for the Raggeds, looking for the
most
protected anchorages. We expect to go to the south hook above the end
of
Hog Cay, which provides nice protection from all but north or west
winds.
Certainly, where we are, while it's been great lately, would be very
rough
with the surge coming around the top of Double Breasted Cay. As
things
constantly change with the forecast being that far out, we'll check
again
before we leave.

As usual, the day was very overcast, but burned off quickly. We set
out for
the southern end of Maycock to explore a reported beach on the ocean
side.
The wind had clocked around to the southeast, at 8-12 knots, and the
waters
over the shallows were a very light chop, so we planed our PortaBote.

However, we were close to low tide, and, despite trying to skirt the
huge
sand bar between Maycock and Margaret Cays which, on the charts,
shows,
sometimes, dry at low water, we quickly started dragging the foot of
the
outboard in sand with some small grassy spots. Putting it up to the
furthest extension by moving the pin which holds the foot of the
engine, we
still grounded, so we got out to walk.

Four messages back your word wrap started doing the above. I used to
like reading the stories.

Stephen