DSK

Default Offshore cruiser questions

Wendy wrote:
I am more interested in the former, obviously I'm not averse to a bit of
work, but I decidedly do not want a project. Boats are enough work as it
is.

Sounds to me like you already know a lot about it. But shopping for the
boat itself can be a daunting project. How are you at library research?
Check out a few references on small boat surveying, the one that I have
on my shelf and find very good is Ian Nicholson's "Surveying Small
Craft." Then you will have some excellent parameters to start weeding
out the boats on the market that you know you don't want.

Skip Gundlach's saga on this list will inform you mightily. It's worth
it to take the time necessary to decide, because a thousand miles
offshore, there's no tow truck, is there? G

I'll google up the saga. I've been doing a bit of flying and, as
problematic as the broken-down boat can be, I can't imagine the situation
would be as dire as an aviation-related failure.

You might be surprised. Things can happen quickly on the water, and
consequences can be dire indeed... I mean, it can be fatal, how much
more dire can it get?

Anyway, it is certainly possible and a very interesting challenge. Go
for it!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King