posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Leave her (My boat) in the Bahamas?

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 20:38:08 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

My attention span for cruising is seriously short and I love my work
so I never want to spend more than a couple of weeks aboard my boat
but I do want to take advantage of having her in the Bahamas. Being a
well built 28' S-2 and having a 3'10" draft, she seems ideal for the
shallow Bahamas, a perfect cruiser for someone who does not mind sorta
spartan conditions.
So, is leaving her in the bahamas over hurricane season a
possibility? I'd prefer to have her hauled and put on stands because
then I'd worry less until I got back in late November. Insurance is
not an issue because she is very old and long ago paid for and so I
only have liability insurance. If she gets
destroyed..............well, I'd be sad but also would have an excuse
to build another boat.
Feasible?

You won't have any trouble finding on land storage facilities. I know
of at least one yard on Green Turtle Cay for example, and am
reasonably certain that there is one in Marsh Harbour on the south
side. Marsh Harbour makes a nice base of operations because there are
good provisioning opportunities there, a close by airport, and many
taxis. The taxis monitor VHF channel 16 so a handheld VHF is very
useful.