nom=de=plume nom=de=plume is offline

Default I will pay more in federal income taxes this year than ExxonMobil

wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 17:57:17 -0700, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
om...
nom=de=plume wrote:
wrote in message
news
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 01:31:41 -0700, wrote:

Every time you drive up to the pump, you pay more in federal tax for
single gallon of gasoline (18.4 cents) than ExxonMobil paid in U.S.
income taxes in 2009. That's in spite of the fact that the world's
second largest company had a gross operating profit of nearly $53

Corporations don't pay taxes, their customers do..
If they paid any additional taxes, it would simply show up in the
price of gas, with the profit tacked on.
I understand some people do want to increase taxes on gasoline and
this is a way to do it but understand that is what you would be doing.

There is a basic problem with how corporations are treated as
individuals.
They're not people.

That's an S-corp. Exxon Mobil is a publicly traded C-corp.

Nope. ExxonMobil is treated as an individual, according the several
Supreme
Court rulings. Most recently, this involved lobbying limits being removed.

You are referring to speech rights, Larry is talking about tax status.
Two different things.

So far. With the current court, who knows. It's pretty hard to separate one
from the other, esp. if they're not paying their "fair" share.

--
Nom=de=Plume