Armond Perretta[_2_] Armond Perretta[_2_] is offline

Default Volvo Penta 2002B 18 HP Deluxe Panel Temp Gauge

My 2002 (1993) has 3700 hours and runs well. The deluxe panel also was fine
with all gauges except the tach performing properly. I have replaced the
original tach with the latest (both wires removed from the old sender and
one of these to "w" on the alternator, the hour meter wire removed and set
aside, etc.). I just started up the engine for the upcoming season and the
new tach is fine. However now I have a new issue with the temp gauge. Here
are the symptoms.

Prior to starting, when I turn the key one click, all gauges including the
temp move a bit, indicating that the wiring is fine to all instruments.
Nothing happens with the tach of course. When I then start up, all gauges
including the new tach perform as designed, except that the old temp gauge
(which ran perfectly last year) pegs to the left once the engine starts,
giving what looks like reverse polarity connection symptoms. I did not
change any wiring to this gauge when fitting the new tach.

Next, when I shut down after running the engine under load and letting it
come to temp, all the gauges including the temp show what appear to be
correct readings, but only when the engine is NOT actually running. That is,
it seems the temp sender is OK and sending correct info, the oil sender
same, the voltage meter same, the tack off of course, etc. I think this
means the temp sender is fine, but that running the engine is somehow
sending the incorrect voltage to the meter. Only when I start up and the
engine is actually running (and the tach showing the revs) does the temp
gauge peg to the left. Is it possible I just picked the wrong one of the 2
old tach wires for the new tach to connect to "w"? No other wiring changed
from the time the temp gauge was OK. Ideas welcomed.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat