posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Tired of the ICW

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 09:31:01 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 19:12:53 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

You can minimize the current by staying right along the beach in 20 to
30 ft of water but you will still have half a knot or so against you
in many places. If I were in Stuart going to the Bahamas, I'd skip
Miami and Bimini and go directly across to the Bahamas from either
Fort Pierce or Port St Lucie. The Pt St Lucie inlet can be dangerous
at times so be careful with that. There are several ways to cross the
banks and clear customs once you get to the Bahamas via this route.
Drop me an EMAIL at my GMAIL address if you want more details.

Another popular alternative is to go south only as far as Lake Worth
Inlet at Palm Beach and cross over to West End which is a port of
entry. Be advised that you will need $150 in US cash and passports
to clear customs in the Bahamas. You'll also need a yellow "Q" flag
and a Bahamian courtesy flag, both available at West Marine.

If you haven't already done this, you'll also want to sign up for the
US Local Boater Option (LBO) which allows you to clear back in to the
United States with a phone call. Otherwise you may have to leave the
boat somewhere, rent a car, and drive to Miami which is a real PITA.

Everyone on the boat needs to have a LBO number but it is an easy
procedure. You probably have a "Port of Entry" up in the panhandle
where you could sign up.

http://www.noonsite.com/Members/sue/R2010-03-12-1

How and where do I sign up?

Make an appointment to sign up for the Local Boater Option at local
ports of entry.

South Florida ports of entry include: Key West (305-296-2233); Port
Everglades (954-761-2000); West Palm Beach (561-848-6922); and Port of
Miami (305-536-4758).