Eisboch Eisboch is offline

Default Tired of the ICW

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

Maybe. If I recall correctly, the Gulf stream extends very close to parts
of the Florida coast, particularly during the winter months. I think I
remember as close as 3 miles in some areas, however I could be wrong,

But, that shouldn't bother you. Hug the coast and use your charts. The
current will be weak and shouldn't affect you much, I don't think. Then
again, when I was in that area I had close to 1000 hp to push me through it.

Eisboch