Jeff Morris

Default Radar on a cell phone

I used cell phone radar last season, and it came in handy. Aside from the obvious advantage of
having an hour or two's notice of t-storms, rather than 10 minutes, its nice to be able to plan
shore trips, etc.

It isn't much use in the winter so I turn it off to save a few bucks.
--
-jeff

"John Tretick" wrote in message
I'm relatively new to boating and a frequent reader of this group. Last
year was exceptionally hard to plan trips because the weather was
less than cooperative. I'm in Calvert county MD and spend most of my time on
the Chesapeake Bay Chance of showers and thunderstorms was the forecast for
most of the season. After my Startac took it's last drink during Isabel, I
picked up a new cell phone. I like Motorola products and Verizon has the
best coverage in my area. I was all set to use my new cell phone and a
laptop to dial up an ISP like, NetZero and get my weather/doppler images
there. What I discovered is that Verizon and other cell companies now have
services that provide you with weather data and radar images on your cell
phone. You can pan, zoom in and view a series of radar shots (radar in
motion). Check with your carrier for phone requirements, but Verizon
offers at least 5 weather related services which run $3.00 to $4.00 a month.
This is a subscription based service with no contractual obligations.
Airtime charges apply while in use.

This is exactly what I needed, perhaps you'll find value in this also.

http://getitnow.vzwshop.com/getgoing.list.do?subCatId=2

See you on the bay,

John

Just in case you're curious.. I do not work for Verizon, this is not a plug.