Larry W4CSC

Default Bought cool new digital charger....$89? WalMart?!!

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:55:14 -0500, DSK wrote:

Larry W4CSC wrote:
....The model is VEC1093A.
http://www.battery-rechargeable-char...y-charger.html
WalMart has it discounted to $89 and change from its $110 retail.
Walmart also makes refunds and returns just too easy, any port in the
country.

Sounds like a great leap forward in technology if it really will do the
same job as a "$800 West Marine smart charger." FWIW I bought a
UL-marine rated 40 amp 3 output smart charger for about half that, but
it's still a lot more than this Wal-Mart charger.

The only problems I see
1- you can't put 480 watts through a box much smaller & lighter than the
West Marine kind, something's gotta give.

One side of the case, that yellow part in the picture, is one giant
aluminum heat sink. Then, there is a large blower fan that comes on
with the charger and remains on throughout the cycles. At 40A it's
cool. I'm monitoring its output with a series shunt feeding my
o'scope to watch it work. Its output will be VERY equipment friendly!
It's PURE DC not the usual half or full wave pulses of the powerline.

2- it is apparently not UL-marine rated, which might void your insurance
policy

Interesting point.....

3- if it shuts itself off after every charge, then you could still go
aboard your boat to find a dead battery

Yes, I wouldn't recommend it replace the boat charger. I've emailed
Vector to ask about a marine version that's mountable and continuously
operating without the complete shutdown feature.

The diagnostics look pretty cool. I wonder if there is any way to over
ride the 'Battery Voltage Too Low' fault.

If the battery voltage ever gets THAT low, the whole battery bank is
TOAST. It's a charger, not a wizard....(c;

Larry W4CSC

Is it just me or did the US and UK just capture 1/3
of the world's sweetest oil supply? What idiot wants to
GIVE IT BACK?!!