DJ

Default New Boat Owner

"Dionysus Feldman" wrote

[snip info and questions]

3. "Cruise" speed: there wasn't any obvious way to figure out where to
maximize mileage (knotage?). She got up to 3800 RPM and 27kts
(according to fish finder) at WOT, and I've read that cruising speed is
about 65% of RPMs, but she seems to need 3000 RPM to plane, and then
we're only going 17-18 knots.

You might consider getting a fuel flow meter. They aren't really expensive
in the all around scheme of boating, if you know what I mean. And,
depending on how your boat's set up, they can be an easy DIY to install.
With the GPS someone else recommended, you can calculate fuel flow per mile
for various RPMs. Or, if you want to make the investment, you can buy a
fuel flow meter that is coupled with your GPS for automatic fuel efficiency
calculations.

[more snips]

6. We're docking it at a local marina, and we are clearly the crappiest
boat there. The docks are so high that getting down to our boat is a
real challenge. Not just for us, but for our Lab, too. We're looking
at ladder and plank ideas that include something a Lab can do.

My answer to the Lab issue in another response 8-).

DJ