posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default Microwaves to dry boat hulls

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:15:54 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:51:31 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

All other materials have a better TCO (total cost of ownership). I'm sure that statement will generate some
flames, but it is observable and self evident

So which is cheapest, steel or aluminum ?

We are seeing a lot of steel sailboats from Europe with semi-hard
chines down here in the Caribbean. Some are showing rust streaks but
most seem to be holding up fairly well.

It depends a lot on how the vessel is built.

A steel boat that used stainless everywhere there is chafe or wear -
rail cap, all exposed bolt or pin holes bushed, stainless cleats and
fairleads, any dissimilar metals insulated, no wood, teak decks,
cockpit combings, etc., the electrical system totally insulated from
the hull and an alert captain or crew that catches every scratch that
appears will certainly not require much, if any, major maintenance for
very long periods.

On the other hand I know a chap that has a French built aluminum
sloop. Electrical system insulated from the hull, anything that is in
the water is either aluminum or some alloy that doesn't react with
aluminum strongly. To the best of my knowledge the only major
maintenance he has done in probably 20 years is to overhaul the main
engine.

You often see French built boats that are unpainted aluminum, except
for the anti-fouling. They appear to have few problems.

And finally you see the home built boats, built by amateurs, that seem
to rust away in 10 years or sometimes less.

I believe that you are a power boat man so have a look at Seahorse
Yachts, the Diesel Ducks, I did a bit of work on one when it came
through Thailand on its way to the U.S. Beautiful work.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)