[email protected] gmbeasley@mindspring.com is offline

Default Dr. Diesel, Foley Engines, and me...

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:15:27 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 16:06:17 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 17:20:11 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 00:02:05 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Dr. Diesel, Foley Engines, and me...

Spoiler: this will be long, due to the convoluted path it takes, along with
documentation of what happened. This won't be pretty, including a couple of
frank language instances - and before any raving fans get out, and sharpen,
their swords, the documentation is clear, below...

I read your tale of woe and frankly it is nearly unbelievable, oh yes,
I believe that you went through all the trials and tribulation but
perhaps it should be entitled "Innocents Abroad".

Out of curiosity, why do you think you need spare injectors? Out of
all the diesels I've worked on I can only remember changing one
injector, and I'm not even sure that one was bad,

We have two 300D Mercedes. At one point we were driving across the
country and we couldn't get the car to start even with a jump. We
stopped in Charleston SC, and the Mercedes place said 3 out of the 4
of them were bad.

To be frank I doubt that, or at least your description of the event.
You are implying that 3 out of 4 injectors were so bad that the engine
wouldn't start? And you drove it into the Mercedes place? If 3 of 4
injectors were so bad that they had to be changed the engine would
have been shaking and rattling so bad that it is doubtful that you
could have driven it.

Are you sure that you aren't talking about the glow plugs? A far more
likely source of the "engine won't start" syndrome.

You are right - it was glow plugs. But we didn't drive to the
Mercedes place - we had to get it towed. It was in January and really
cold and nasty. Bob was really sick and couldn't sleep because of
coughing. We were staying on the AFB and they said that a tow truck
couldn't come on the base - that we'd have to go to the gate and meet
them which was about a mile from where we were. Finally we had the
idea of renting a car from Enterprise (there was one right on the
base) and they came over to get him, and he then met the tow truck at
the gate and followed him to the dealership.

The time we had trouble when we were in Memphis (it was the vacuum
system or something - the car just had no power) we did drive it over.
That Mercedes place wasn't as good. They took the doors apart and
said they couldn't get the parts and finally Bob told them to put it
together and give it back. He then went to an Autozone and got the
part for about 85 cents, and took the door back apart and fixed it
himself in the parking lot of the motel.