Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Useful gadgets

OK, I'll reluctantly forgo the windmeter. Will get the GPS, hand held
VHF and maybe the knotlog. At least the knotlog will fill the space
left by the old one that has never worked for the 12 yrs I have owned
my boat. I have always had a permanently mounted compass and hand
compass (ok, 2 hand compasses). GPS chart plotters seem sorta silly
since I imagine its hard to get a good overview of your entire area
and planned course. Besides, I just like the excercise in trig in
plotting my position (normally use hand compass, knotstik towed spd
indicator, and paper charts to do coastal nav, till now, DR and Loran
out of sight of any marks). I suspected the lazy jacks were not
really worthwhile which is why I never made them. As far as Radar and
battery banks, I have two batteries, a 25 watt solar panel and no
access to shore power for charging although the diesel does a good job
of that. I do have an old Autohelm autopilot that I love for
loooooooong trips. My sailing is primarily coastal cruising.

Sounds reasonable enough, if you are sailing in a never-foggy area.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Wanting to meet a writer because you like his work is like wanting to meet a duck because you like pate."
Margaret Atwood