Jeff Morris

Default Cruising with Baby

Our baby was on board at 10 days old (in August), however for the remainder of
the first season we only took her out with a very experienced crew.

That winter she took the swimming for infants class at the "Y" she has since
become "water baby" with no fear of the water.

The following several summers she stayed mainly in a car seat lashed in the
cockpit under the dodger. The forward bunk acquired a "door" so it turned into
a crib; parents were forced to sleep in the main cabin. Our boat then was a
Nonsuch 30 which has a large, deep, secure cockpit. With that and full netting,
we never worried about her falling overboard. You'll find there is no good
infant PFD, but as early as you can, get them used to wearing a PFD when
necessary. Also, make sure you have a good, lightweight stroller. The big
heavy ones have their place, but if you want to do dinghy/launch trips with the
little one, you have to use minimal gear. And you'll discover interesting
things, like diapers are great for changing the oil filter on your diesel!

For toys, the normal stuff is good, but you'll want water and beach toys.
Amelia spent a lot of time playing with a bucket of water in the cockpit. Which
reminds me, make sure you acquire proper submersible gear - its a bummer when
you find your VHF in the bottom of the bucket. Also, we had a TV/VHF combo;
nowadays a DVD player might get more use.

When she was 3 we bought a catamaran, partly because the level sailing is so
child safe. Also, the immense amount of space, below, in the cockpit, and
especially forward on the trampoline was greatly appreciated. Of course,
everyone got their own cabin! We spent a year doing the ICW & Keys when she was
5. Now the big cat is overkill for simple summer cruising, but the space is
still appreciated.

--
-jeff www.sv-loki.com
"The sea was angry that day, my friend. Like an old man trying to send back soup

"Joe Wood" wrote in message
We are expecting a blessed event in late February. I'm looking for
information on people's experiences in day sailing, weekend cruising,
and longer cruising with infants and very small children.

Considerations, Gear, Sources, etc.

Joe Wood
jlwood3 at erols dot com