Josh Assing

Default Useful gadgets

Knotlog- really useful or does the reading off the GPS suffice?
This gives you speed over water, gps will not; it will give you speed over
surface (if tide is coming in; and you're doing 1 knott on the gps, you may be
doing 6 over water)

Handheld VHF- useful or not?

VERY -- Frequently; I cannot get below to my fixed mount; or if I'm in my dingy
calling to my boat -- and it's always a good backup.

Electronic masthead windmeter (I'd like one but am doubtful about its
robustness)- useful or not?

depends on how much you need to know wha the wind is doing -- I'd say if you do
bay sailing, aren't a racer,a nd have sailed for years w/o it; you can live w/o
it.

Radar- Takes too much power I think for a sailboat.

If you sail fog or high traffic area at night -- very useful.. you just need to
adjust your battery banks...

Lazy jacks- (I am sure I can make my own) but really useful or not?

If you raise & lower your main a lot in a day; then it is; if you don't I think
it's "one more thing" to break -- I adhear to KISS on my boat -- I don't hve
roller furling, I do have a twin head foil...

---
Remove x's to send.