DARat

Default Cruising with Baby

Check out the book "Babies Aboard" by Lindsay Green. It has tonnes of
usefull info on dealing
with babies on board. We cruised with 2 kids (since birth) on board our
bayfield 25 (util we got the 30). One
was severely disabled and we found taking care of him on the boat was easier
than at home because
everything was within reach.

We took lots of toys and activities for the kids to do, we're not afraid to
stop early or halfway to
have some fun or do what ever needs to be done. When the kids were infants,
we just kept them
in a car seat lashed to the boat when on deck, and in the v-berth when down
below or in the car
seat at the foot of the companionway. Keep them cool in summer and ensure
they don't get
sun burnt and you'll probably have a very happy time. Lots of food and
later when they're older,
lots of fun food...strawberries, grapes, maybe some chips and chocolats, but
not too much junk food.
Lots and Lots of water.

My daughter is now 6, our son unfortunately succummed to his disabilities.
We still sail a lot.
our daughter is now capable of picking her own toys and last summer was
starting to get some
responsibilities on the boat. Last year was putting flemmish coils in the
mooring lines after we're
tied up. I haven't decided what this years duties will be yet, but it's
important to give them
something to do to be part of the crew.

Chapters location for the book:
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/item.a...670C7535862424
--
Cheers,
Jeffrey Nelson
"Joe Wood" wrote in message
We are expecting a blessed event in late February. I'm looking for
information on people's experiences in day sailing, weekend cruising,
and longer cruising with infants and very small children.

Considerations, Gear, Sources, etc.

Joe Wood
jlwood3 at erols dot com