posted to rec.boats.building
timmynocky timmynocky is offline

Default Glue thickness?

I agree with Steve, after all resorcinol is what they use to make
marine plywood and for good reason.

Timmynocky

On Mar 6, 7:26*am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
Epoxy is the wrong adhesive for this application. If it was the correct glue, plywood would be made this way and it isn't. As
stated by others, epoxy does not like to be thin and your application should be tightly clamped. You should be using waterproof
resorcinol for the panel lamination. It is cheaper, less messy and easier to work with. Reserve your epoxy to your structural
joints and you will be golden. Use the right tools for the right job.
Steve

"Ulrich G. Kliegis" diesemailadressevonUlliistzwaretwaslangabersieist wrote in messagenews:efb2p5t1fiuqf72g6h0im2eeb6u2a40oan@4ax .com...

I am building a new hatch lid from two 4mm ( ~1/6"") sheets of marine
ply. Reinformcement structures will follow. My question here is: How
much glue (epoxy resin plus cotton fibres as thickener) is the
optimum? My felt guess is 0.1 to 0.2 mm, i.e. ~1/240 to 1/120". Less
is hardly possible, more? The curvature is about 15 mm elevation in
the middle of a width of 600 mm.

Cheers, and TIA,

U.