Default Ping Wilbur S Bahamas

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Hi, O Font of all Bahamas knowledge :{))

Your input has been pretty much right on in the past stuff we've
encountered, so, here's another question:

We're in Georgetown, and will do some southerly exploration before moving
back north as the weather warms (which it's NOT been, lately, here!).

With our 7' draft, and all the nasty fronts lately, we're suspicious of
the Jumentos and the Raggeds. Likewise, other than some limited
protection, Thompson Bay ("Salt Pond") in Long Island, and a great
opportunity for me to get out and scrub the bottom (at low tide, lightly
aground in some places, lets me stand on the bottom to get some leverage
while I wield my brush). However, everything we hear here suggests that LI
is well worth visiting. Our draft suggests the only opportunity being
Thompson (?)...

Some of the other islands, in nasty conditions, give no protection
whatsoever, but might be glorious exploration in more settled weather. The
fronts should be dying off shortly, so those may well be of interest, too.
And, we're expecting to move slowly north, and then, later, as we're on
the way out, south again, as we take our time going down the Thorny Path,
so going FAR south isn't particularly important at this immediate time.

So, with full tanks and sound gear allowing pretty much any sort of
movement we'd like, where would you recommend we explore before heading
north again in a couple of months?

Lydia sends you a big sloppy kiss, but I'll just give you a hug for your
ineffable goofiness here :{))

L8R

Skip, thinking like a single-engine pilot, which is how we immediately
came to rest safely on our dead-stick into the fuel dock :{))

The weather HAS been uncommonly cold around south Florida lately. I guess it
goes all the way down to George Town as well.

I sailed out of the south end of Elizabeth Harbor leaving North Channel
Rocks to stb. I sailed from there to Hog Cay and anchored for the night. (no
good anchorage for you there in a cold front though. But in settled and
prevailing winds weather it's good. With your draft I don't know if you can
get tucked in to the south of Hog Cay. I can. The chart shows one fathom at
MLW.

From there I sailed in plenty of water down to Thompson Bay where they were
having one of the Regatta races. I crewed on the old "Thunderbird" riding
the pry. It was great fun. I think the old "Thunderbird was wrecked and
replaced with the new "Thunderbird" since then. You can tuck in behind
Thompson point with your draft and be sheltered from the northers. I liked
the Salt Pond settlement and the beach oceanside.

I thinks there's plenty enough water for you bayside of Long Key if you
don't get to close to shore on the way to Thompsons. Long Island is
definitely worth a visit.

Hugs to Lydia lol

Fair Winds.

Wilbur Hubbard