Rosalie B.

Default 5th Florida Trip Report (much shorter, this time)

x-no-archive:yes

"Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

Hi, Dan,

"Dan Best" wrote in message
Skip Gundlach wrote:
*documentation - at the moment, the boat is a FL registered, not

documented,

Skip,
This should be a non-issue. Our Tayana was CA registered when we bought
it. Getting it documented was just a matter of filling out a form and
sending it in along with a simple copy of the state ownership
certificate ("pink slip"). When the state registration came up for
renewal, I just sent it back along with a note stating the boat had been
documented and a copy of the documentation certificate and haven't heard
from them since.

We don't anticipate any issue whatever - other than a benefit to us of a
thoroughly searched title and resolution of any issues which may remain as a
product of the death of one of the owners (I'm still bothered by the listing
continuing to trumpet this as an estate sale, but the lister asserting it to
be free and clearly the property of an attorney not deceased).

I agree that you should get IN WRITING a statement that says either that
no more gear will be removed or listing what gear currently on board
will not be included in the sale.

I'll eagerly await same :{))

On the tax issue, be aware if you don't pay FL tax, your state may
demand it. CA works that way, though there is an way to avoid it as
long as you take delivery and keep the boat out of the country for a
specific period and can document the fact that not only was this so, but
that you actually used it (it's not enough to just let it sit in a
marina). I don't know if just having it worked on would satisfy our
state tax collector or not (let along, yours).

Our situation will clearly fit, I believe. Both the US and British Virgin
Islands brokerages make a big deal out of 'no sales taxes in the Virgin
Islands' in their ads. Since that is where we'll have our hailing port and
documentation, and proceed directly to (well, with a rather long journey in
between to see the islands through which we'll pass and not likely return to
see later), where we live now won't even know about it, I don't figure. In
the case of FL, they have rather stringent requirements about documenting
your removal from the state (20 days max to leave, 30 days to submit
documentation of same via dockage, fuel purchase, or something else out of
state, with the boat clearly identified on the receipt), and if it never
comes to my state, I think we'd be doubly clear there.

I doubt that will work. You aren't taking possession in the Virgini
Islands. Being documented there isn't the same as BUYING it there.
Totally different as a matter of fact.

The only way that would be an issue is if you buy a boat where there
are no taxes (like RI or USVI) and document it there and then bring it
into a state with taxes. Even then, I know someone who bought a boat
in RI, and then came back to NJ to clear house and NJ insisted on
being paid taxes on the boat because they were living in NJ and no
taxes had yet been paid.

I think Florida will want the boat to pay tax and be registered, but
I'm a pessimist. I have seen people who took possession out past the
12 mile limit (documented by the GPS or something), and then brought
the boat in to shore and got it out of Florida (or maybe into a yard)
within the time limit, but that was for boats which were going to be
registered in another state and pay taxes in another state.

I've also heard of folks that had their boat documented in Texas and
TX says that a documented boat cannot also be registered. Florida
says that a documented boat has to be registered somewhere and too bad
if it comes from TX where it can't be both.

Best of luck - Dan

Heh. Thanks. As much effort as went into the search, this one is a lot
tougher for me. There's entirely too many places this can fall apart, and
all of them are expensive to discover. A prior wise-guy thread about the
'real' cost of the boat identified some of the costs we've incurred. All of
the prior costs combined won't equal the costs of the discovery process on
this boat...

L8R

Skip and Lydia, by proxy

grandma Rosalie