Jonathan

Default singlehanded racing

At least it's a response, although a discouraging one.

I like the underdog, and I like driving toward an end. Probably why I
wound up as a construction project manager.

Bruce's drive is something to behold. Before the start of Around Alone,
he was playing guitar in some Newport,RI pubs for tips, cash was so
tight. As you read the updates from the race, donations *just* barely
made it in to fund the next leg, one leg at a time.

Right now, he is working 10 hours a day,in heated space, in Portland,
Maine, (incidentally, some of the lock machinery for the Panama Canal
was produced in these buildings) donated by Phineas Sprague, owner of
Portland Yacht Services. He's staying in a house with a family that
offered to house and feed him, when I've gone up to work, I stay in
another supporters spare bedroom.

Schooner Creek built an almost bulletproof boat,with the wood and foam
sandwich, and Tom Wylie designed it to be fast *and* seaworthy. Unlike
many of the others, it is not stable upside down.

When he finishes, he will be the first American to officially finish
this endurance trial. You would think that this demonstration of the
classic American pursuit of a difficult objective would light the
interest of somebody with some serious bucks.

Potential media connections, and planned projects appear to be good,
www.bruceschwab.com/partners Sportsbyline.com, the Sirius network,
PBS in Seattle all have projects planned that would provide a lot of
corporate exposure. The educational alliance with www.reachtheworld.org
seems to be a positive link in an effort to fire the imaginations of
schoolchildren.

Yet a question about wax will generate more conversation here.

Oh well. If anyone has any ideas, or knows someone with connections to
a funding source, please reply, here, to me, or to Bruce

Thanks,

Jonathan

Wim wrote:
"I guess you just couldn't resist the political crap, eh?"

And....what's YOUR response to Jonathan's mail? We're waiting.......