Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default Cruising is... Nov 14, '09-Feb 14,'10, Part V

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:01:18 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Skip, a bit sore from my unaccustomed (never did it before) YogaLates this
morning, but starting to get back into physical shape with that every
other
morning and volleyball every afternoon

Good grief, you must be in George Town.

Did you find a good WiFi conection? We did not.

"Good" is relative...

I have three open sites to choose from where we are, in a west wind, about
25' off Chat'n'Chill's sign.

When I arrived in the GT area I visited each beach. Not less than 20, and
usually more than 30 visible. If I were closer to town, there's a forest of
open sites - but we're not leaving the beach :{))

Off Monument, there were a half-dozen open usable sites (not counting the
many repeaters at Palm Bay Beach Club, which has gone subscription).

The usual pipeline problems exist, and Harbour and Gaviotta are both
horrible this year, with Gaviotta being down more than it's up, and Harbour
usually taking a very long time to even paint its sign-in page. Both have
many complaints about how slow they are most of the time.

My connections vary in strength, and throughput varies between nothing and
extremely good - I had two conversations (well, three, as I called back when
I'd found some info they'd requested) on Vonage today, e.g., but, other
times, packets arrive either not at all or singly. Not the base station's
problem, it's Batelco's skinny pipe with all the businesses and homes,
complicated by all the cruisers muddying the water with all the channels
busy immediately nearby. The bigger problem is the businesses, as,
generally speaking, between 8AM and 8PM, the throughput is very spotty, but
outside those times, it's more often than not just great. I usually use my
time with Chris Parker to pull all the mail I've given up on the previous
night, and refresh all my weather and other pages I keep open all the time.

Gotta love that gear! Did another round of my seminar yesterday, about 60
showed up, and one happened to bring a POE, Bullet and stick for everyone to
see. As usual, I've been beseiged by questions, in general, and about our
rig, as well, which is what prompted my doing the seminar again.

If I get enough hands, I'll post it here. Wireless Communication for
Cruisers covered all the two-way comms used by most cruisers - VHF, HF,
Cellular, Satellite telephone and WiFi. Interesting developments in the
cellular area WRT internet connections, too...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)