posted to rec.boats.building
Frogwatch Frogwatch is offline

Default My poor MiniCup sailboats

After years of use, My Stevenson Project Minicup 12' sailboats may be
reaching old age. Number 1 (Tadpole) had severe rot last year even
though i had rebuilt her once. I had planned to rebuild her again and
had stripped her of all paint and even removed all the old non-
stainless screws in prep for glass and epoxying her but I simply do
not have the time. I may have some sort of ceremony where I burn her.
I had Number 2 (Satsuma) out on the lake this afternoon in light wind
and although she is entirely sheathed in glass epoxy, I heard a crack
from the bottom of the cockpit and I think this means rot in the wood
beneath. Instead of rebuilding again, I may simply inject epoxy and
continue using her till she fails somehow.
Eventually, I may redesign the MiniCups using modern materials using
stitch and glue methods with glass and epoxy. This would incorporate
my alterations to the mast, rudder assembly and making the sail by
sewing polytarp. I think I could make them much lighter than the old
version and certainly stronger and longer lasting.