Doug Kanter

Default Bearing Buddy Question

Excellent accessory. They don't pump the grease, though. You do. One thing:
I think it's nuts to not have your hubs cleaned out thoroughly and regreased
before installing the Bearing Buddies. Everything I've read says not to mix
different types of grease. If you have the marina do the installation, you
can ask them to use the kind of grease you're buying from them.

If you take lots of long trips, you need to find a grease application tool
that is easy to transport, and doesn't make a mess of the car's trunk or
your hands. Otherwise, you won't want to use it. Besides, you only notice
that you need grease when there's noplace around to wash the stuff off your
hands.

I found a good one on the same pegboard as tubes of OMC (brand) grease, but
I can't seem to find it anywhere on the web. Mine came from a marina.

Imagine a metal tube with a plunger on one end. The other end is placed on
the grease fitting of the Bearing Buddy. In the center of the tube is a
threaded thing made for the OMC grease to fasten to. (The grease is in a
thick plastic toothpaste-tube type of container). So, when attached, the
grease container makes the whole contraption into a t-shaped affair. You
squeeze the grease from the bottom of the soft container upward so it feeds
into the metal tube and then squeeze the plunger. When you're done, you
release the pressure from the grease container. That, and the release of the
plunger create just enough vacuum to pull any excess grease back into the
applicator. Nice & neat.

Now that I think of it, it must be made by OMC, since it fits their grease
container perfectly. The applicator's about 7" long and no thicker than a
screwdriver. That and the grease container fit into a medium-size Rubbermaid
rectangular food storage thing. Nice & neat.

"No Spam" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I went to a local marina, and I asked about maintenance on the trailer.

They
suggested to me that my trailer needs a product called "Bearing buddy"
which can easily pump grease into the hub with a grease gun. I haven't
installed it yet coz wanna get some comments from you guys.

Any comments on this "Bearing Buddy" product? Is it worthy to install?

is
it easy to do it myself or should I let the Marina guy to do it for me?
Thanks for any advice..

N.S.