Jeff Morris

Default Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

Buzzards Bay and the Cape and Islands are great, but they're not exactly
"primitive." We used to go to Maine for the primitive escape, but switched to
the sound when our daughter was born. Martha's Vineyard is a lot more fun for a
child, especially being able to swim off the boat and go in for ice cream and a
carousel every day.

There are more primitive places, but you'll always be sharing them with lots of
other cruisers. This is not a problem if you like to anchor outside away from
the crowds, but getting an "inside" spot at the head of the little hurricane
hole is an art form. Our itinerary is often designed around arriving at the
optimal time to get the ideal spot.

As for the wind, its hard to predict. Last Labor Day we came back in about 30
knots, but often as not we've had to power to make time. September is the heart
of the hurricane season here. Its very rare they strike north of Boston, but
Buzzard Bay usually gets at least one scare every season.

Frankly, its sounds to me like Maine is what you're after. Just don't plan on
swimming.

"Dean B" wrote in message
om...
I also have a few questions about Southern New England:
Do the winds hold up in Sep.?
It sounds pretty commercialized. I'm worried about not finding a
place to anchor. Is there much hope for a primitive experience or are
you at the mercy of the local property owners?
Don't get me wrong, I do like to stop in at the occasional small port
but there are only so many gift shops and book stores that I can put
up with.

Dean