posted to rec.boats.building
Frogwatch Frogwatch is offline

Default Oar maintance

On Feb 12, 7:51*pm, "Dan Listermann" wrote:
I bought a pair of eight foot oars this summer and they proceeded to go to
hell finish-wise. *I used the boat almost daily and did not feel that
protecting them from the weather would be so important. *Now I am going to
sand them and give them a new finish. *What sort of finish do they need and
why was this finish not applied at the factory?

The varnish they use is useless. I sanded mine bare and then applied
epoxy to them and then painted them white with WR155 epoxy primer. I
have found that this primer holds up very well.